Saturday, May 19, 2012

Mother's Day Reflections

There's a good reason why this post is a week late.  I have been waiting for my flowers to bloom so I could share pictures!  Leave it to Ashlea to send me something unusual - a jasmine plant!  I don't think I've ever seen one before, but it sure is fragrant!  The buds are still opening, so the picture doesn't quite reflect the beauty it will soon have when it's in full bloom.  




Tyler and Baillie sent me cut flowers ready to bloom - stunning Asian lilies. They, too, have a lovely fragrance with a hint of spice.  For the purpose of perspective on how large they are, the vase is ten inches tall.




I'm always thankful to be honored and appreciated on Mother's Day, but sometimes it hard not to look back on this very important part of my life with a few regrets. . .things I should have done, shouldn't have done, or didn't even consider.  At the Rescue Mission Auxiliary May luncheon, Katherine (one of the older ladies) shared a memory of her mother praying for her and her siblings every evening when they were children, praying alone because their father worked 2nd shift.  What made this memory so powerful was that her mother went into her bedroom, knelt down on her knees, and prayed aloud for each of her children.  Not only did the children know their mother was praying for them, they heard her petitions to the Heavenly Father as she named each child one by one.  Sixty years later, that memory still brings tears to Katherine's eyes.  Katherine herself is a very devoted prayer warrior for her family, and it's no wonder, given the rich heritage and example of her mother.  I can only wish I would have been as wise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment