Monday, May 28, 2012

Beer-Braised Pot Roast

What am I to do when I find a bottle of Guinness in the pantry and we're not beer drinkers?  Cook with it!  I could have made a loaf of beer bread, but I found a recipe for beer-braised pot roast in my recipe folder that looked quite tasty.  A good pot roast is a wonderful comfort food, especially if it is accompanied by potatoes and gravy. . .lots of gravy.  No potatoes in this recipe, but it still hit the spot. 
I don't know if I'll be making this recipe again, though, unless the "gremlin" happens to deposit another bottle of beer in my pantry. ;)

Ingredients:

1 chuck roast, 2 to 3 lbs.
salt and pepper to taste
3 T. vegetable or olive oil
2 large onions, peeled and sliced thick
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 or 2 cans beer
1/2 t. rosemary leaves

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Season the meat with salt and pepper.  Sear the meat on both sides until nice and brown.  Remove the meat from the pan and lower the temperature to medium heat.  Cook the onions and garlic until beginning to brown.  Pour in the beer and rosemary leaves.  Add more salt if desired.  Add the meat to the Dutch oven and cover with lid.  Cook in oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the meat is fork tender and falling apart.  Shred the meat with fork.  Serve with juice and onions over the top.  

No comments:

Post a Comment