Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Demonstrating Compassion

I love Ashlea. . .and not just because she's my daughter. I would love her regardless.  There are many reasons for the affection, but today I'm reflecting on how much I love her as a sister in Christ and a very good friend.  I especially appreciate her biblical perspective and discernment in life situations.  As much as I tease Ashlea about being "way out there" (because she often seems to be thinking on a different plane), she really does have a pretty good head on her shoulders.

Recently we were discussing how we often tell people that we're praying for them, which is good if indeed we are, but our commitment stops there.  We are not really interested in getting involved to the point of offering physical, emotional, spiritual, or grammatical (just seeing if you're paying attention) support.  I have been guilty of that many times.  Instead of giving of myself or my resources, I've often just uttered the words "I'll be praying for you" before moving on.  Ashlea commented that this response to a known need might be interpreted as "Go in peace, be warmed and filled" as spoken of in James 2:16, the appearance of compassion without the works of love to prove the compassion. 

I realize that there are times when praying is all we are able to do.  I am not disparaging prayer, because faithful prayer for others is important.  But I have been challenged to also pray about other ways I can demonstrate love when friends and family are in need.  Sometimes it's even the little things that make a difference.   

No comments:

Post a Comment