Monday, July 05, 2010

Romans 8 Memorization, Part 3

I just love the young people in our church. They are thoughtful, kind, inquisitive, and very bright. One can almost feel intimidated in their presence...as I did last Sunday. It was the first day for scripture recitation, and I thought I was ready to recite the first eight verses of Romans 8, which I had been working on for two weeks. As I waited my turn, I chatted with some of the children about the memorization, and they were all so excited about the challenge. In a "piece of cake" sort of way, they informed me that all we have to do is memorize one verse a day, and we'll have Romans 8 memorized way before the summer is over! I just nodded and grinned. When my turn came, I knocked off all of six verses. So for next time, I've set my sights on nailing the next five verses. I'm feeling like the proverbial tortoise right about now.

But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you. Romans 8:9-11

After Paul describes the characteristics of those who walk in the flesh, he addresses those who have the indwelling Holy Spirit, a sign of saving faith. Just as the Spirit raised Jesus out of physical death, the Spirit, dwelling in each believer, gives new life now and forever because of the righteousness of Christ. On the other hand, a person, who gives no evidence of the presence of the Spirit, who has no desire for the things of God or the inclination to avoid sin, is not indwelt by the Spirit. This is a sobering reminder to "Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith. (II Cor. 13:5)"

No comments:

Post a Comment