Friday, November 26, 2010

Daily Thanksgiving - Forgiveness of Sins

As I've been thinking and writing this week about my daily thanksgivings, I realize I've only touched the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. There so many other people and things for which I treasure as blessings in my life.  God is so good!  

On Wednesday, I took part in the rescue mission's annual Thanksgiving dinner and praise service, where we not only feed our clients but also invite people from the community to join us for a Thanksgiving feast.  During the volunteer orientation, I shared the real reason we are in ministry, the gospel of Jesus Christ.  John 3:16 tells us "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."  That is the good news.  But the flip-side to that news is found in John 3:18:  "Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe in is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God."  We have all offended a Holy and Righteous God, and therefore stand condemned if we are not covered by the righteousness of Christ.  That righteousness cannot be obtained by any good work that we do...not by church membership, baptism, acts of benevolence.  As Jonathan Edwards said,  "The only thing you bring to your salvation is the sin that makes it necessary."  Forgiveness for our sins (a right standing before God) can only be obtained through the gift of faith in the finished work of Christ on the cross.  My greatest blessing is to know that my sins have been covered by the precious blood of Christ and that one day I will worship my Savior in heaven.  

No comments:

Post a Comment