Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Biking Obsession

I have to admit it became an obsession. As part of our weight loss program (begun last year), Joel and I decided we would get our exercise through bicycling. It was innocent enough at the beginning - ride for 30 minutes or so a few times a week.  Then January came, and I was bitten by the New Year's resolution bug.  I had to have a goal, and 1000 miles seemed like a good attainable distance.

As spring rolled around with warmer temperatures and longer daylight hours, we extended our riding time and increased our speed. We followed a daily route through surrounding neighborhoods, switching it up by either going "frontwards" or "backwards." And at the end of each ride, we recorded the distance traveled. We were driven, and the closer we got to reaching the goal, the more biking became work for me, not a source of joy as it had been in the beginning. After we surpassed the 1000 miles at the end of August, I reduced my bike riding to a pace that is once again pleasurable. No more goal setting; I want to keep it in perspective - and fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment