Thursday, February 20, 2014

Homemade Vanilla Extract


A couple years ago, we received homemade vanilla extract as a Christmas gift, and I discovered how amazingly simple it is!  The only items needed are vanilla beans, vodka, bottles with caps or corks, and time. I ordered Madagascar vanilla beans online (getting a better price on a larger quantity of beans).

With a sharp knife, I cut a long slit the length of each bean, leaving about 1/4" at each end, and placed the beans in washed bottles (using 3 to 4 beans per 8 ounces of vodka).  I poured the vodka into the bottles, completely covering the beans. After placing the cork in the bottles, I placed them in a cool, dark location.  The vanilla should be ready to use in about eight weeks, but additional time will provide a more intense vanilla flavor.  


After I add pretty labels, the homemade vanilla will be ready to be given as gifts to friends and family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment