Friday, January 24, 2014

Quotable

"Now perfect and complete glorying in God is this:  not to exult in one's own righteousness, but being aware that one is lacking in true righteousness, to be justified by faith alone in Christ."  

"Much time had I spent in vanity, and had wasted nearly all my youth in the vain labour which I underwent in acquiring the wisdom made foolish by God.  Then once upon a time, like a man roused from deep sleep, I turned my eyes to the marvellous light of the truth of the Gospel, and I perceived the uselessness of 'the wisdom of the princes of this world, that come to naught.'  I wept many tears over my miserable life and I prayed that guidance might be vouchsafed me to admit me to the doctrines of true religion."

~ Basil of Caesarea 

No comments:

Post a Comment