Thursday, November 14, 2013

God's Faithfulness in Our Suffering

As we all know, it's not a question of if we'll face pain and suffering, but when.  It's inevitable in this fallen world.  Sometimes we see suffering coming, and other times it seemingly strikes out of nowhere.  Regardless, for those of us who know Christ as our Savior, we have the assurance that Providence is at work through the tough times.  Not only does God allow the pain and suffering, but he indeed orders our days, the good and the bad, to accomplish his sanctifying purpose in our lives, to his honor and glory.  

Alistair Begg, in his Truth for Life "My Times are in Your Hands" broadcast, explained the follow ten points that should be included in our theology of suffering:

1.  God chooses to use suffering to develop perseverance.  James 1:2-3 - "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trails, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience."

2.  God uses suffering to manifest his faithfulness to bring us to maturity in Christ. James 1:4 - "But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing." 

3.  God uses suffering to assure us of our sonship through his loving discipline. Hebrews 12:7;11 - "If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten?. . .Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it."  

4.  God uses suffering to prove the genuine nature of our faith.  I Peter 4:12-13 - "Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trail which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you, but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ's sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy."

5.  God uses suffering to develop in us humility.  2 Corinthians 12:9-10 - "And He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my strength is made perfect in weakness.'  Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake.  For when I am weak, then I am strong."  

6.  God uses suffering to keep us on track.  Psalm 119:67 - "Before I was afflicted, I went astray, but now I keep your word."  Proverbs 3:1 - "My son, do not forget my law, but let your heart keep my commands." 

7.  God uses suffering to deepen our insight into the heart of God.  Read the story of the prophet Hosea.  

8.  God uses suffering to help others in their trials.  2 Corinthians 1:3-4 -
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God."


9.  God uses suffering to reveal to us what we really love and what matters most.  Do we love God more than we love ourselves?  John 12:25-26 - "He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life." 

10.  God uses suffering that we might display God's glory.  Read the story of Joseph in Genesis 37 - 50.  Genesis 50:20 - "But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good." 

No comments:

Post a Comment