Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Special Friendship

I was talking on the phone with Ashlea the other day, and she told me that an older woman in her church (around my age) asked her if she and I were good friends, and if so, how we became good friends.  Seems this lady and her husband are contemplating the adoption of two teenage girls, so she is looking for advice.  My immediate response was, "Did you tell her I just dictated that it would be so?"  Joel chimed in with, "What has been written, so it shall be done!" Seriously, though, one of the goals of our parenting was that we would be good friends with our children when they reached adulthood. . .not while we were in the instructional years. 

Ashlea and I briefly contemplated the contributing factors to our friendship.  One of the first mentioned was that our love for the Lord binds together as sisters in Christ, in addition to our loving relationship as mother and daughter.  We have the freedom to encourage and admonish one another in our Christian walk.  We respect each other's perspectives, though sometimes our pride does get in the way.  Ashlea thought our home schooling played a definite role, especially since there were very few girls in the high school co-op.  I mentioned that because we both have an interest in Bible doctrines and theology, we have had so many wonderful conversations on those topics.  I have learned so much from Ashlea.  Her pogo-stick mind helps me connect the dots that I would otherwise miss on my linear mental path.  Then Ashlea stated the obvious:  she and I don't have what you might call "normal" female personalities, so there aren't many real kindred spirits out there. And finally, we really enjoy each other's company!

'Nuff said! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment