Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Shrimp and Grits: New Recipe of the Week

Ok. . . now I'm a believer.  Grits aren't as bad as the name suggests.  I never ever wanted to try them, because they look like cream of wheat, and I know that's bad stuff!  At least it was when I was a kid.  

About a month ago, we had a breakfast-themed fellowship meal at church, and one couple brought a crock pot full of grits.  I passed over them, because "I don't do grits."  Later, the couple mentioned that they were going to have shrimp and grits that evening with the leftovers.  Shrimp and grits!?!  I'd never heard of such a bizarre combination!  They assured me it was a great dish, and they must know what they're talking about, because, after all, these two prepare recipes with names that I can't even pronounce! 


So, the other day while I was looking for this week's new recipe in my Cook This, Not That cookbook, I noticed a recipe for shrimp and grits!  The picture looked yummy, and the grits looked more like mashed potatoes than cream of wheat.  I thought, "I can do this!"  


I made the recipe for supper last night, and it was really delicious!  And it was fairly quick and uncomplicated, a plus for a weeknight meal.  We'll definitely be having this meal again.  I've got a whole box of instant grits to use up!  ;)


Shrimp and Grits


1 T. canola oil
1 cup diced cooked kielbasa sausage
4 scallions, whites and greens separated, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 t. cayenne pepper
1/2 cup quick-cooking grits
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese


Heat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat until lightly smoking.  Add the kielbasa; cook for a few minutes, until lightly browned. Add the scallion whites, garlic, and mushrooms.  Cook until the mushrooms are lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes.


Add the shrimp and continue cooking until the shrimp are just pink and firm to the touch.  Stir in the broth and cook for another 3 minutes, until the liquid has reduced by half and the shrimp are cooked all the way through.  Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne.


While the shrimp are cooking, cook the grits according to the package instructions.  When they're thick and creamy, add the cheese and season with salt and pepper.  Divide the grits and shrimp among 4 bowls and garnish with the scallions greens. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked it! Of course about anything would taste good with sauteed shrimp on it!

    We were in the south last week and the kids had grits at a restaurant and said that they were even better than the ones I made.

    ReplyDelete