Saturday, March 03, 2012

Rolled Round Steak: New Recipe of the Week

This week's recipe comes from a cookbook that belonged to my grandmother:  A Century of Cooking, published in 1973 by the Ada Lutheran Church in Courtland, Kansas.  I love this old cookbook for its down-home recipes, many of which reflect the Swedish and Danish heritage in that area of Kansas.  It's filled with food reminiscent of my childhood, back when people were more interested in rich flavor than calories and cholesterol.


The recipe I chose for this week is rolled round steak.  The combination of beef, bacon, and dill pickle was intriguing, and Joel loves dill pickles, so I thought this would be a hit with him - it was.  One change I would make would be to use tenderized cube steaks.  I had some difficulty rolling my 1/2 inch thick round steak.  I also think I would cut down on the water, so that the sauce wouldn't be so thin.  


Side note:  On the same page is a recipe for brisket submitted by a Lucille Engwall, and I just noticed that the recipe is identical to the brisket recipe in Pioneer Woman's cookbook. It's funny to realize that THE BEST brisket recipe has been in my kitchen all this time!  


Rolled Round Steak


1 1/2 lbs. round steak, well-pounded
1 cup catsup
3 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 cup hot water
bacon, thinly sliced
dill pickle spears


Cut the steak into strips 2 inches wide and about 5 inches long.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Place a stick of dill pickle on a steak strip and roll.  Wrap a strip of bacon around the roll and fasten with a toothpick.  Roll in Flour with salt and pepper, then brown well.  Place rolls in a baking dish. Mix catsup, water, and Worcestershire sauce and poor over meat rolls.  Bake one hour or until tender at 325 degrees.  

No comments:

Post a Comment