Friday, February 03, 2012

Corn and Potato Chowder - New Recipe of the Week

This week's recipe comes from my Southern Living Ultimate Christmas Cookbook and was prepared earlier this week by my loving husband.  For some reason, even though I enjoy chowders, I have not made them at home, that I remember anyway.  The first night we ate this soup, Joel and I agreed that it was just okay, but when we ate the leftovers, we both thought the flavor had improved.  I guess that's the way it is with soups.  If we make this recipe again, we will season it more heavily, probably with some garlic or seasoned salt.

Corn and Potato Chowder

1 pound baking potatoes, peeled and cut in to 1/4" cubes (about 2 cups)
14 oz. can cream-style corn
14 oz. can diced tomatoes
14 oz. can chicken broth
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
3/4 t. dried basil
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 bay leaf
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup butter
4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled


Stir together first 10 ingredients in a 5 quart slow cooker.  Cover and cook on low 8 hours or until potato is tender.  Add whipping cream and butter, stirring until butter melts.  Ladle into bowls, sprinkle each serving with bacon.  Yield:  6 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment