Saturday, June 12, 2010

Romans 8 Memorization, Part 1

One thing I appreciate about our church is the summer scripture memorization. It began as an emphasis for the children, but we adults are invited to participate. Since I haven't been actively memorizing scripture for a couple years now, AND because the selected text is Romans chapter 8 (a favorite of many), I am making the commitment this summer. I divided up the thirty-nine verses over eight weeks, roughly five verses each week. We'll see if this old brain can handle the challenge. ;)

This week, I'll be working on these verses:

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. (vv. 1 -5)

Following the Apostle Paul's lament at the end of Romans chapter 7, O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from the body of death? (v. 24), the beginning of chapter 8 is a beautiful reminder of the eternal security I have because of Christ's atonement, along with the freedom I now have to walk according to the Spirit. What a blessing to know I am no longer stand condemned before a Holy God!

No comments:

Post a Comment