Friday, January 22, 2010

The Assignment



For quite some time, I've been noticing those nifty little books at Sam's Club called Eat This -Not That, offering wise nutritional advice when dining out. Sure, I'd occasionally stand in the Sam's Club aisle peeking through the pages, but I wasn't interested (committed) enough to actually purchase the book...it might cramp my style at McDonalds after all! But last week, included in their January-weight-loss-emphasis display was the authors' new book called Cook This - Not That. The sub-title caught my attention - Kitchen Survival Guide - "Quick and healthy meals that can save you 10, 20, 30 pounds - or more!" Once I perused the contents and, more importantly, the pictures, I knew this was the book for me! Each recipe is a healthy version of food found in America's restaurants, complete with the nutritional comparison information.

As I was leaving for work Monday morning, I suggested to Joel that he try one of the recipes for our dinner that night - his choice. (He is currently off work on Mondays, so he doesn't mind preparing dinner.) Asking to be surprised is sometimes risky, but I felt confident there was nothing in this cookbook that I wouldn't like. His choice: Honey-Mustard Salmon with Roasted Asparagus, which is compared to Outback's Salmon Griller, (370 calories and 21 g. fat vs. 1126 calories and 25 g. fat), and it was the best salmon I've ever eaten...seriously! This cookbook has me excited about cooking again...or better yet, getting Joel to cook. ; )

1 comment: