Saturday, November 13, 2010

We Resemble That Remark

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. Matthew 5:5

Our Christian education teacher has been doing a series on the Beatitudes, using John Stott's The Message of the Sermon on the Mount.  Last Sunday, Mike read the following section on meekness, where Dr. Stott cites Martyn Lloyd-Jones' explanation:


"I believe Dr. Lloyd-Jones is right to emphasize that this meekness denotes a humble and gentle attitude to others which is determined by a true estimate of ourselves.  He points out that it is comparatively easy to be honest with ourselves before God and acknowledge ourselves to be sinners in his sight.  He goes on:  'But how much more difficult it is to allow other people to say things like that about me!  I instinctively resent it!  We all of us prefer to condemn ourselves than to allow somebody else to condemn us.'  


For example, if I may apply this principle to everyday ecclesiastical practice:  I myself am quite happy to recite the General Confession in church and call myself a 'miserable sinner'.  It  causes me no great problem.  I can take it in my stride.  But let somebody else come up to me after church and call me a miserable sinner, and I want to punch him on the nose!  In other words, I am not prepared to allow other people to think or speak of me what I have just acknowledged before God that I am.  There is a basic hypocrisy here; there always is when meekness is absent. 


Dr. Lloyd-Jones sums it up admirably: '...The man who is truly meek is the one who is truly amazed that God and man can think of him as well as they do and treat him as well as they do. This makes him gentle, humble, sensitive, patient in all his dealings with others.'" (p. 49)

No comments:

Post a Comment